Sweet and Tart Roast Chicken with Horseradish
Lemon zest, cranberries, kumquats, horseradish, and maple syrup create an interesting sauce to accompany the spicy chicken.
- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 - 4 pounds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon, zest grated
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup kumquats, halved, or chopped tangerine
- 1 Tbs horseradish
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place chicken in roasting pan; tuck wings underneath. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice over chicken and place lemon halves into cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F; roast an additional 50 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180° F when inserted into thickest part of thigh.
- Remove chicken from pan, cover with foil and set aside.
- Pour off excess fat from pan drippings. Place roasting pan on stove over medium heat; stir in chicken broth, lemon zest, cranberries, kumquats, horseradish and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer; cook until cranberries pop, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Slice chicken and arrange on serving platter. Stir butter into sauce; pour into a bowl and serve with chicken.
Calories from Fat 164 (28%)
(28%)Total Fat 18g
(34%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 15g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.