Spicy Olive Meatballs
These spicy meatballs will have kids asking for seconds-and everyone asking for your recipe.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (1/4-inch)
- 1 1/2 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- 1 cup sliced olives
- 1 1/4 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
- kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan. Add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and oregano and continue cooking for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Mix in olives and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled olive mixture with beef, pork, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Stir in eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper flakes. Form into a dozen 3-inch meatballs and set aside on a clean plate. Heat remaining oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Place each meatball into pan and brown for 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally until evenly seared. Pour marinara sauce over the top and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until heated through.
Calories from Fat 232 (51%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 20g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.