South of the Border Quesadilla
If your family likes it hot, then you will enjoy this delicious and simple south of the border breakfast.
- 4 scallions sliced, or substitute
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to your desired taste
- pinch black pepper
- 2 Tbs butter or substitute
- 8 large eggs, or substitute
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 8" soft flour tortillas
- 1 package of mixed shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese.
- 1 or 2 jars pineapple or mango salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped, or parsley to garnish
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté with 1 tablespoon of butter, the scallions, jalapeño, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of diced pineapples and red peppers for 6-10 minutes. In separate bowl, whisk eggs with 3/4 cup of yogurt, salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander and 1 teaspoon cilantro. Pour egg mixture over sauté scallions and start scrambling, until desired consistency. Set skillet on the side.
- On a separate iron skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Take flour tortilla and fold in half. Open the tortilla and add to only one half some cheese then 1/4 of the egg mixture and cheese again on top of the eggs and fold the other half on top of the cheese. Place it on the hot skillet. Cook 1 1/2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Cut the cooked tortillas in half and top with yogurt, salsa, pineapples and fresh cilantro.
Calories from Fat 346 (54%)
(59%)Total Fat 38g
(90%)Saturated Fat 18g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 40g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.