Pomegranate-Marinated Lamb Skewers with Persimmon Chutney
A meal fit for a goddess—pomegranates and persimmons create a rich and luxurious flavor.
- Pomegranate-Marinated Lamb Skewers1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbs cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 tsp pepper, ground
- 4 lbs lamb loin, trimmed of fat and silver skin, sliced into pieces 2 inches long and 1/4-inch thick
- 24 5 inch wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Persimmon Chutney6 fuyu persimmons, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 lemons, halved, thinly sliced into half rounds and seeded
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 1 inch piece of ginger root, peeled, and sliced paper thin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 tsp pepper, ground
- 3/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1/4 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 piece star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- In large bowl, combine lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add lamb slices and toss to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove lamb from marinade.
- Weave 2 or 3 pieces of lamb slices on each skewer, pushing lamb to the tip of the skewer to avoid burning.
- Broil or grill the skewers, about 5 to 6 inches from heat source, 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or to desired degree of doneness.
- Place skewers on a platter and serve with a bowl of Persimmon Chutney (recipe follows) for dipping.
- Persimmon ChutneyIn 3-quart saucepan, combine all chutney ingredients: persimmons, brown sugar, sugar, vinegar, lemons, raisins, ginger, cinnamon stick, pepper, cumin, salt, cardamom, coriander, anise, and cloves.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a relish.
- Let cool before serving (chutney will thicken more upon cooling).
Calories from Fat 36 (14%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(2%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.