The use of mint in this recipe is a fine example of how an unexpected herb or spice canadd freshness and complexity of flavor to a familiar dish. Spearmint is easy to grow, makes a delightful garnish and combines happily with a galaxy of other ingredients. In short, mint makes life better. Use it freely and see.
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 3/4 cup diced leeks
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions, leeks and scallions in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and peas and sauté for 2 minutes. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chives and mint and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender container and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
Copyright © 2005 by CR License, LLC
Calories from Fat 53 (29%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 26g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.