Mushroom Hodge Podge
Italian ingredients combine with pasta to make a satisfying soup, accompanied by crunchy crostini.
- 2 lbs white button mushrooms
- 8 medium-sized (about 1-1/4 ounces) plum tomatoes, cut in eighths
- 1 medium (about 1 cup) onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup rotelli or other short pasta
- Green Olive Pesto for Mushroom "Hodge Podge"3/4 cup pitted green olives (preferably imported)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbs pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Trim mushroom stems, cut large mushrooms in halves. In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), wine, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Raise heat to high, remove lid and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan, bring 6 cups salted water to a boil. Add rotelli; cook until tender, yet still slightly firm (al dente), about 8 minutes; drain and add to the mushroom mixture; toss gently. Spoon into shallow soup bowls, dividing evenly. Serve with crostini made with thick slices of toasted Italian or other peasant bread, spread with green olive pesto.
- Green Olive Pesto for Mushroom "Hodge Podge"In a food processor container, combine olives, onion, pine nuts, and garlic; whirl mixture until finely chopped, about 1 minute. With the motor running, slowly add olive oil to form a thick, smooth paste. Allow to stand about 30 minutes to blend flavors. Serve on slices of toasted Italian or other peasant bread.
Calories from Fat 179 (43%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 39g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.