Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce
Elevate the everyday meatloaf by topping it with a creamy, savory mushroom sauce.
- 2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 8 oz coarsely chopped fresh white mushrooms
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) dry vegetable soup mix
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 Tbs butter, unsalted
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) fresh white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 lbs chopped onion
- 1 can (14 oz) beef broth
- MeatloavesPreheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, combine beef, chopped mushrooms, vegetable soup mix, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup milk and egg until well combined. Form into two loaves, 7x5 inches each.
- Place loaves in a shallow baking pan with rack. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Mushroom SauceIn a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet, melt butter over high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onion; cook and stir over moderate heat until mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture into mushroom mixture in skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Calories from Fat 220 (41%)
(37%)Total Fat 24g
(54%)Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.