Matcha Vanilla Bean Cake with Coconut Buttercream Icing
Antioxidant matcha mixes divinely with vanilla and coconut flavors for a festive treat.
- Matcha Vanilla Bean Cake2 cups cake flour (plus more for dusting the pans)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs matcha powder
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla beans
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- Coconut Buttercream Icing1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 8 Tbs light coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Matcha Vanilla Bean CakePreheat oven to 350°.
- Grease two 9-inch cake pans. Place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and grease the paper. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and matcha powder. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in the eggs. Add vanilla beans and extract and stir to combine.
- With a spatula, slowly fold in the flour mixture in small batches, alternating with the coconut milk. Mix just until it is smooth.
- Split the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Test with a toothpick; if it comes out clean is is done.
- Let the cake cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Coconut Buttercream IcingWith an electric mixer, whip the butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar in small batches, alternating with coconut milk. Blend well between each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- If the icing seems too thick, add more coconut milk. If it seems too thin, refrigerate it; it will thicken as it cools.
Calories from Fat 250 (36%)
(43%)Total Fat 28g
(88%)Saturated Fat 18g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 106g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.