Italian Lemon Cookies
Shape this pliable dough into twists, knots, bows, wreaths or letters. Sprinkle with colored sugars or candy sprinkles before baking.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 4 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 4 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- Mix flour and baking soda in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel. Add yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time, to flour mixture, stirring just until combined after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Work with 1/4 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll pieces of dough on lightly floured surface into 6 x 1/2-inch ropes. Shape as desired; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in 350°F oven until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Calories from Fat 16 (32%)
(3%)Total Fat 2g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(1%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.