Hearty Shepherd's Pie with Lamb
Originally created as a way to use up leftovers, shepherd's pie is a welcome meal on a chilly evening.
- 3 lbs lamb leg, ground or diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs oil, canola or vegetable
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
- 6 Tbs all purpose flour
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup peas, green, whole, fresh or IQF
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or IQF
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups lamb stock
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb salted butter
- 8 oz English Derby and/or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil. Add onions, cooking until softened. Add lamb; cook until browned, then dust with flour. Mix thoroughly; cook an additional 1 minute. Add carrots, peas and corn; incorporate well. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire. Gradually add stock; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer on low approximately 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley; set aside to cool.
- In a pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and steam dry. In a bowl, add heavy cream and butter. Grate potatoes, skin on; gently mix with cream and butter until semi-smooth with small chunks.
- Spoon the cooked lamb mixture into a large casserole pan or 12 individual casserole dishes. Spread a layer of the smashed potatoes over the lamb mixture; top with shredded cheese. Bake at 375°F until internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
Spoon quenelle-shaped portions of the potato mix on top before baking for a slightly different presentation. May be done in individual casseroles or in a large pan for banquet buffet
Calories from Fat 268 (52%)
(46%)Total Fat 30g
(80%)Saturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 46g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.