French Onion Soup
Caramelize some onions, add some beef broth, butter, herbs, and cheese—and voilà, you'll have the best bowl of French onion soup you've ever eaten!
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 4-6 yellow onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 5 cups beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of a crusty French baguette
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions to the pot and sprinkle with flour. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the onions are cooking too quickly, reduce heat.
- When the onions are tender and golden in color, deglaze the pan with sherry.
- Pour beef broth into the pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Butter slices of French bread and bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until very dry. Set aside.
- Remove herb stalks and bay leaf.
- Ladle soup portions into four oven-safe ramekins. Top with crusty French bread and sprinkle with cheese. Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered at 400°F for 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Broil for 1 minute more to brown the top.
- Serve warm.
Calories from Fat 206 (48%)
(37%)Total Fat 24g
(70%)Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.