Figgy Foster with Spiced Fig Cake and Rum Caramel Sauce
A very figgy dessert—figs are cooked in a spiced port wine reduction and spooned atop warm fig cake.
- Spiced Fig Cake1 lb dried California black mission figs, stems removed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Figgy Foster Butter, as needed
- 24 fresh, ripe California Calimyrna figs
- 3/4 lb butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 3 pints vanilla ice cream
- Spiced Fig CakePreheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan.
- Simmer dried figs and water in saucepan on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving liquid; cut figs into eighths and set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, combine reserved liquid from figs with buttermilk and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves together, and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and stir in vanilla.
- A little at a time, add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, and beat well after each addition. Stir in chopped dried figs and chopped pecans.
- Turn into prepared tube pan, and spread evenly. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until done, toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; then, turn onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Figgy FosterRemove stems from fresh Calimynra figs, and cut in half lengthwise; set aside.
- Divide Fig Spice Cake into 24 slices; melt some butter in heavy-bottomed sauté pan and toast slices on both sides. Remove to individual serving plates, and keep warm in oven.
- Then, melt 1/4 cup butter in same heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon, and whisk vigorously until sugar dissolves and sauce is bubbly. Add fresh figs and port wine; continue to cook until figs are tender.
- Remove from heat and add rum. Carefully return to heat, and ignite rum; stir constantly until flames subside.
- Remove from heat; immediately, divide and spoon over individual pieces of toasted Fig Spice Cake. Top each with scoop (1/4 cup) of vanilla ice cream; serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 204 (44%)
(36%)Total Fat 23g
(63%)Saturated Fat 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 59g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.