Chunky Chili Chicken
The beer in this chili recipe helps to tenderize the chicken.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 10-ounce can whole tomatoes and green chilies, crushed (Rotel)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, with liquid
- 2 cans tomato sauce (one 15-ounce and one 8-ounce)
- 1 12-ounce can beer (or substitute chicken stock)
- 5 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 cup baby corn (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cilantro leaves, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and saute until no longer pink, about 4 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pot; wipe pot dry. Heat remaining oil and saute onion, garlic, bell pepper and cumin seed for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, beer and salt and pepper. Add chicken back to pot. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add beans, corn and olives. Simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro, if desired. Serve hot topped with cheddar cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 169 (40%)
(29%)Total Fat 19g
(24%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(50%)Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.