Vegan Vanilla Green Tea Tapioca Pudding
This luscious and creamy vegan pudding makes a great healthy and low-fat breakfast.
- 2 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tbs agar agar flakes
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup small tapioca pearls
- 2 Tbs matcha powder
- Place tapioca pearls in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Let stand 15 minutes, then drain.
- Add tapioca pearls back into the saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the tapioca is translucent and no longer white. Strain the tapioca in a fine sieve. (The liquid will be fairly thick, so rinse with water and stir with a spoon to remove some of the liquid.) Refrigerate until cold.
- In the meantime, prepare the pudding base. Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the beans. In a large pot, combine coconut milk, vanilla beans, vanilla pod, and agar agar flakes. Let stand 5 minutes. Slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Place the pot in the refrigerator and cool completely for at least 1 hour.
- Once cool, the liquid will have solidified into a gel. Transfer the gel into a food processor and add the matcha powder. Pulse until smooth.
- Stir the tapioca pearls into the pudding and divide into four small desert bowls. Chill for an additional 5 minutes, or serve immediately. You can serve the pudding as is, or top it with fresh fruit or nondairy whipped cream.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
- Note: If you plan on transporting this pudding, store in a cooler with ice. You can also split the pudding into smaller portions, conveniently stored in sealed mason jars or plasticware. All you need is a spoon!
Calories from Fat 92 (37%)
(16%)Total Fat 10g
(45%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(1%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.