Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Soy milk stands in for the usual heavy cream to make the classic stroganoff vegan and light, without sacrificing flavor.
- 2 oz olive oil
- 4 oz diced onion
- 1 oz minced garlic
- 3 lbs button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 oz white wine
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 3 3/4 cups plain soy milk
- 4 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs whole wheat fettuccine
- 1/2 oz chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large rondo and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add the sliced button mushrooms and sauté until the juices are released. Strain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Sauté the cremini mushrooms until the juices are released. Strain the creminis, reserving the liquid.
- In a separate pan, heat both mushroom liquids with the wine and tomato paste until almost boiling. Mix 1 cup of the soy milk with the flour to make a slurry. Stir the remaining 2 ¾ cups soy milk into the mushroom liquid. When it simmers, whisk in the slurry until smooth. Add both kinds of mushrooms into the sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Toss the mushroom sauce with the fettuccine. Serve 6-ounce portions, garnishing with fresh parsley.
- Note: This is for about 3 ½ ounces of sauce to 2 ½ ounces of noodles. Peas are a colorful addition too.
Calories from Fat 35 (16%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(3%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.