The New Chicken Le Cordon Bleu
A thick layer of herbs replaces the bread coating in this lighter version of Le Cordon Bleu.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thin slices "real" Black Forest or Westphalian ham or other smoky dry ham, cut into 2-inch 4-inch pieces
- 4 slices Gruyere cheese, cut into 2-inch 4-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Gently pound the chicken breasts, one at a time, between sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper with a rubber or wood mallet or the side of an empty wine bottle until they are very thin -- 1/4-inch thick and about 5 inches wide and inches long. Season the top of each piece of chicken with salt and pepper. Lay a slice of ham and a slice of cheese horizontally along the bottom half of each breast, fold a 1/2-inch strip of each side inward and then fold the top over to enclose the filling completely.
- Mix the parsley, rosemary and sage together in a wide shallow bowl or pie plate. One at a time, put a filled chicken breast in the herb mixture, press to adhere as many herbs as you can, then turn and coat the other side with herbs. Coat all the breasts with herbs and set them on a plate until ready to cook. At this point they can be covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the herbed, stuffed breasts with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, carefully lower the chicken into the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until the underside is a deep brown color, about 5-6 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side until well browned and the chicken is cooked through, another 5-6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warm platter and serve hot.
Calories from Fat 156 (40%)
(27%)Total Fat 17g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.