Smokey Fiesta Rice
Cotija cheese adds a flavor similar to Parmesan to this festive rice dish.
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup yellow onions, 1/2"dice
- 3/4 cup long grained white rice
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo, pureed
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers, 1/2" dice
- 3/4 cup yellow squash, 1/2" dice
- 3/4 cup green peas, frozen
- 2/3 cup olives, sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Stir in rice and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until just golden.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute, then pour in water and chipotle puree. Bring to boil, then turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender. In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium. Add peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in squash and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low, stir in peas and olives and cook until heated through. Season with salt. Toss sautéed vegetables with cooked rice. Garnish with green onions and cotija cheese just before serving.
Calories from Fat 79 (30%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 39g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.