Roasted Lamb Sandwiches with Poached Pears and Goat Cheese
Chef Michael Scott Castell
A sherry marinade, poached pears, and goat cheese add an unexpected elegance to these rich lamb sandwiches.
- 5 to 6 lbs lamb leg, boned, trimmed and trussed
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 oz yellow onion, small diced
- 3/4 oz fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 oz fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 oz fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 oz fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 Tbs garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs cane syrup
- 1 Tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- Provence Salt1 lb kosher salt
- 2 oz pepper, ground
- 2 oz granulated garlic
- 1- 1/3 oz dry lemon peel, ground
- 2/3 oz dried thyme, ground
- 2/3 oz dried rosemary, ground
- 2/3 oz dried oregano, ground
- 2/3 oz dried marjoram, ground
- 2/3 oz dried basil, ground
- Poached Pears6 Bosc Pears
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 cup cabernet
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 24 slices French boules, toasted
- 24 oz goat cheese, softened
- 12 oz roasted garlic Dijon aioli
- 6 cups spring mix
- For MarinadeCombine sherry, lemon juice, onion, thyme, basil, rosemary, tarragon, garlic, cane syrup, mustard and salt. Use emersion blender to make marinade smooth. Add oil in a stream allowing marinade to emulsify. Pat lamb dry and rub with marinade. Let sit for 2 hours.
- For Provence SaltCombine all ingredients in stainless steel bowl.
- Evenly coat roast with Provence salt as needed and place on roasting rack. Roast lamb in 350ºF oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, rotating every 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check for desired degree of doneness: 145ºF for medium-rare, 160ºF for medium or 170ºF for well.
- Once the roast has cooled, partially remove the trussing and place leg on meat slicer. Use the #2 setting to slice meat, removing tress as needed. Portion into 5-ounce packs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.
- For Poached Pears Remove peel from pears and reserve. Combine wines and sugar in pan; cook over medium heat stirring to dissolve sugar. Add pears and skins and cook over low heat for 1 hour, turning pears frequently. Cool pears and skins in mixture. Remove skins and pears; discard skins. Slice pears in half and remove cores. Slice each pear into 12 slices. Place pear slices back into wine mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- To prepare sandwich: Spread 2 ounces goat cheese on bottom slice of sandwich. Spread 1 ounce roasted garlic Dijon aioli on the top slice of sandwich. Arrange 5 ounces sliced lamb on goat cheese. Top with 1/2 cup spring mix and 6 pear slices. Top with second piece of bread and cut on the diagonal.
Store unused Provence salt in jar with tight-fitting lid.
Calories from Fat 404 (36%)
(69%)Total Fat 45g
(106%)Saturated Fat 21g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrate 113g
(46%)Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.