Polenta with Gorgonzola and Onions
Polenta and Gorgonzola cheese have a natural affinity. Try using already prepared polenta to speed up the cooking of this tasty appetizer.
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups instant polenta
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese*
- Early in the day, prepare polenta. Boil the water in a heavy bottomed pot. Add salt and polenta, pouring in a steady stream and stir continuously with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to very low, and continue to stir until the polenta is thick and smooth.
- Pour the hot polenta onto a cookie sheet or shallow pan. Smooth the top and let it cool, then place in the refrigerator covered with plastic, until needed.
- Prepare the caramelized onions: Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch (30cm) non stick skillet, and add the onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until the onions are wilted and a rich golden brown; about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice the polenta into 32 squares about 2 inches (5cm) across. Lightly brush the polenta squares with olive oil and arrange on another cookie sheet.
- Place polenta under broiler and cook until slightly crisp and lightly browned. Turn once and continue to cook until the other side is crisp. This should take only a few minutes.
- Top each square with about 1 tsp (11g) of the caramelized onion, and top it off with a little of the Gorgonzola cheese—about 1/2 tsp (1g) per square.
- Place on an platter and serve immediately
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 80 (22%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(18%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 60g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.