Plum Upside-Down Baked French Toast
This rustic cake is a delicious way to celebrate the best of the plum season.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 slices French bread (1-inch thick, 4-inch diameter)
- 2 cups chopped ripe fresh plums
- 2 Tbs water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- Heat oven to 375°F. Beat eggs, milk, almond extract and vanilla in medium bowl until blended. Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into 9-inch square baking dish. Place bread slices in mixture; pour remaining egg mixture over bread. Let Stand, turning occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile Combine plums and water in medium saucepan; cook, covered, over medium heat until tender. Add sugar and lemon peel; mix. Spread in 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place soaked bread on top of plums. Bake in 375°F oven until lightly browned and no visible liquid egg remains, 20 to 30 minutes.
Calories from Fat 80 (22%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 56g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.