Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach
Red and yellow bell peppers make a colorful filling for the chicken breasts atop a bed of greens.
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- 3 tbls canola oil (divided)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbls butter (divided)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbls lemon zest
- 1 tbls fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 lb spinach leaves
- 1/4 lb watercress
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In sauté pan over medium-low heat, warm one tablespoon canola oil. Add red and yellow peppers; sweat until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate to cool.
- Cut slit in underside of each breast half, creating a pocket. Stuff peppers into breast slits. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large, ovenproof sauté pan, warm remaining two tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear 2 minutes. Place pan in oven; cook 8 minutes, then turn and cook additional 4 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking in oven, place chicken stock and bouillon cube in deep saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add spinach leaves and watercress, stirring and tossing well until wilted, about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove greens from pan, reserving stock. Drain greens on paper towels. Boil stock and cook until liquid is reduced and begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Whisk in one tablespoon butter.
- Remove chicken from oven, place pan over burner on medium heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, lemon zest and thyme. Baste chicken with butter sauce for thirty seconds; remove pan from heat.
- To serve, place spinach and watercress leaves in center of bowl or on plate. Top with chicken breast half. Spoon sauce over greens.
Calories from Fat 222 (54%)
(38%)Total Fat 25g
(38%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.