Mushroom, Onion, and Barley Soup
To cut the cooking time in half, soak the barley overnight when planning for this healthy soup.
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley, soaked in 4 cups filtered water overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 carrots, scrubbed or peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups light vegetable stock
- 2 cups filtered water
- sea salt
- In a medium-large stockpot, place the drained barley, onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Add the stock and 2 cups of filtered water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the barley is completely cooked and thickened.
- Season to taste with sea salt. Add more water or stock if the soup is too thick for your liking.
Copyright © 2005 by Renée Loux
Variation: In a pinch, filtered water and natural bouillon cubes may be used.
Calories from Fat 33 (11%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 56g
(46%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.