Mache Salad with Bing Cherries and Pancetta
Mache is worth a try, but nearly any other small leaf lettuce will carry this fresh medley of flavor just fine.
- Vinaigrette1 small shallot, minced
- 1- 1/2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3- 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs water
- 2-3 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salad1/4 lb pancetta (about 1/2-inch thick slice), diced
- 6 cups mache greens (3.5 oz), rinsed and thoroughly dried
- 1/2 lb Bing or Ranier cherries (about 2 cups), rinsed, pitted and quartered
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced or shaved
- 4 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts or almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- For the vinaigrette, mix the shallot and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil, then the water. Add the mint; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the salad, sauté the pancetta in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring on occasion, until crisp, 5-8 minutes. Combine the mache, cherries, fennel, and warm pancetta in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing. Divide between plates and scatter each salad with goat cheese and nuts, if using.
Substitution Tip: Mache is a mild field green also known as corn salad, rapunzel, field salad, or lamb’s lettuce. You can substitute any small leaf lettuce in place of mache.
Calories from Fat 161 (52%)
(28%)Total Fat 18g
(26%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.