Laredo Salad with Cowboy Marinated Onions
After a long, hard day on the ranch, kick off your cowboy boots and dig in to this salad; serve alongside a juicy steak.
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 quarts mixed salad greens
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup packed, coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 small, fresh chili, sliced
- 4 ripe olives
- Picante Vinaigrette1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs medium picante sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Place onion flat side down and thinly slice crosswise. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, cumin, chili powder, and salt in container with lid.
- Shake well to mix, add onion and shake to coat onion thoroughly. Place in refrigerator and marinate overnight, shaking onions in marinade 2 or 3 times.
- To assemble salad, heap lettuce on four plates. Arrange tomato slices on salads radiating out from center, wagon wheel fashion.
- Lift onions from marinade and place into center. Halve, seed, and peel avocado. Slice each half lengthwise into thin slices, keeping slices attached at one end. Fan out and divide onto salads.
- Sprinkle salads with cilantro and chile slices; add olives.
- Picante VinaigretteIn a jar, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, medium picante sauce, sugar, and dried oregano; shake well.
- Serve Picante Vinaigrette alongside Laredo Salad.
Calories from Fat 181 (60%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.