Wine-Braised Short Ribs
Polenta or pasta make an excellent accompaniment to these well-seasoned ribs.
- 2 lbs well-trimmed beef short ribs, cut into 3 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 cup dry red wine
- cooked soft polenta or pasta (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef short ribs in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove from stockpot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add onion to stockpot; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve short ribs with sauce and polenta or pasta, if desired.
Calories from Fat 36 (9%)
(3%)Total Fat 2g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 13g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.