Wild Mushroom Soup With Chive Cream And Madeira
Recipe by Barbara Figueroa
- Soup:1 2/3 lbs onion, peeled and quartered with layers separated
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cups mushroom stock
- 5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (scant) thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (scant) rosemary, finely chopped
- 5 Tbs Madeira
- Chive Cream:3 oz silken tofu (by weight)
- 1/4 cup mushroom stock
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 4 tsp chives, minced
- Mushrooms:3/4 lb wild or farmed mushrooms (or a combination), weighed after trimming
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- Other Ingredients (per portion): Additional minced chives for garnish
- Small Italian parsley sprigs for garnish
- Toss onion with olive oil in a baking dish. Cover with foil. Roast at 350°F (175°C), stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until starting to soften. Remove foil and continue to roast until golden-brown and very soft.
- Transfer onions to a saucepan with mushroom stock, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and rosemary. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Purée in a blender until smooth and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Stir in Madeira. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make Chive Cream:Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. (If you’ve just made the soup, you can use the blender right away without washing it.) Season with salt and pepper.
- To cook the mushrooms:Sauté mushrooms in olive oil with remaining ingredients over moderate heat until nicely browned, seasoning with salt and pepper. Using a nonstick pan will eliminate the need for excessive oil.
- To serve, reheat soup and mushrooms if necessary. Ladle soup into heated bowls and spoon cream into the middle. Scatter mushrooms over. Sprinkle with chives and parsley sprigs for garnish.
Calories from Fat 186 (59%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(22%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 25g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.