Salmon Potato Chowder
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 whole teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 red bliss potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 1-pound salmon fillets, skinned and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and fennel and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the thyme, fennel seeds, bay leaves, and salt and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the potatoes, stock, and tomato juice and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salmon and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream and fresh tarragon.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright © 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup.
Calories from Fat 115 (40%)
(20%)Total Fat 13g
(29%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.