Roasted Salmon with Black Bean-Quinoa Salad
A fantastic recipe that incorporates three nutrient-dense foods—whole grains, seafood, and beans—in one dish.
- Black Bean-Quinoa Salad3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper, seeded, peeled, and diced (or use canned)
- 1 med red onion, diced
- 2 Tbs pickled jalapeño chiles, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salmon1 1/2 lbs salmon, cut into six 4-oz fillets
- Dressing6 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups watercress or baby spinach (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a bowl, wash the quinoa in at least three changes of cold water, rubbing the grains and letting them settle before pouring off most of the water until the water runs clear; drain in a large, fine sieve.
- Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot and add the quinoa. Lower the heat and cover; cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork to break up any clumps.
- Place salmon fillets on a baking sheet skin side down and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how well you want your salmon cooked.
- While the quinoa is cooking and the salmon is roasting, toss the black beans with vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Let sit for 30 minutes before draining off excess liquid.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Add the drained beans, red bell pepper, red onions, jalapeños, and cilantro; toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Add the oil in a stream, whisking continuously.
- Use 2 tablespoons of the dressing to lightly dress your watercress or baby spinach. Use the rest of the dressing in the black bean-quinoa mixture.
- To serve: Mound ½ cup of watercress or salmon on a plate and top with 1 cup of the black bean-quinoa salad. Top with roasted salmon and serve.
Calories from Fat 232 (50%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.