Roasted Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Macaroni
Try this inventive twist on a perennial favorite.
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup macaroni
- 2 Tbs half-and-half
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
- 1 1/2 Tbs flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme, divided
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbs goat cheese
- 4 tsp mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Toss cubed butternut squash in 1 Tbs of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss on a cookie sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, flipping half way through.
- In the meantime, cook 1 cup of macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside; allow to cool.
- Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray, set aside.
- When squash is finished cooking, pulse it in a food processor with half-and-half until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large pan and sauté grated onion. Stir in flour until mixture is smooth. Slowly whisk in 3 cups of milk and stir until liquid thickens.
- Add pureed squash mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle with nutmeg, thyme, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice.
- Slowly mix in Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. Once combined, whisk in goat cheese and stir until smooth. salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in macaroni until it is all equally coated. Fill prepared ramekins with macaroni, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- In a separate dish, combine melted butter with Panko bread crumbs and thyme.
- Top macaroni with bread crumb mixture.
- Cover ramekins with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil and broil until tops have browned; about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 330 (47%)
(57%)Total Fat 37g
(104%)Saturated Fat 21g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.