Rice with Chicken, Spanish Style
This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain rice
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces, skin removed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- Saffron for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- Olives or capers for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pot. Add onion, garlic, celery, red/green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add whole grain rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to mix all ingredients.
- Add chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, Saffron, and tomatoes. Bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the casserole simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas, corn, and beans and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot, the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Calories from Fat 69 (19%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.