Potato Cannelloni with Roasted Eggplant
Thin slices of potatoes embrace a succulent, tender filling as a nouveau cannelloni.
- 2 extra-large Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 6 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant (about 1/4 pound), peeled
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbs chopped thyme
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups sautéed spinach (optional to serve over pesto)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the potatoes thinly on a mandoline or by hand. You need at least 16 slices.
- Brush each side with a total of 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lay on cookie sheets that have been oiled or lined with parchment paper. Make sure the slices are not overlapping.
- Bake for 10 minutes to soften.
- Remove them from the cookie sheets and let cool on a plate. It is okay to layer them.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplant into 2" batons. Remove the stem and gills of the mushroom and slice into 8 slices. Mix together the remaining olive oil, the garlic, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the eggplant, mushroom, and onion with the olive oil mixture and fold in the tomato halves.
- Spread out on a cookie sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender.
- Turn up the oven to 400°F. Lay two slices of potato side-by-side, overlapping by 1/4". Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lay a few pieces of eggplant, a slice of mushroom, and 5 tomato halves in the center. Fold the bottom edge of the potato over the filling and roll. Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Spoon Watercress Parsley Pesto, if desired, on a small serving plate and spread. If desired, place 1/4 cup of sautéed spinach over the pesto. Serve the rolls on top.
Copyright © 2005 by Renée Loux
Calories from Fat 184 (60%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 15g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.