Pear and Spinach Salad with Parmesan Vinaigrette
Tender spinach is tossed with sliced fennel bulb and sweet pears in this simple salad that delivers complex flavor.
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped or grated on a microplane zester (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 large bunch or bag spinach
- 1 head butter or red lettuce
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 1 Bosc or green Anjou pear
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- extra Parmesan cheese chunk for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Grate garlic clove into mixture and set aside.
- Wash and dry spinach and lettuce leaves. Tear into bite-sized pieces and put in a serving bowl. Cut fennel bulb in half and slice lengthwise as thinly as possible. Cut the pear in half and core. Thinly slice.
- Slowly pour olive oil into balsamic-lemon mixture, whisking constantly until the oil is fully incorporated. Add Parmesan cheese and several grinds of black pepper. Drizzle desired quantity of vinaigrette over greens and toss lightly to coat. Add the pears and fennel with additional dressing and toss again to incorporate.
- Use a vegetable peeler to add thin curls of parmesan cheese for garnish if desired.
Calories from Fat 175 (72%)
(31%)Total Fat 20g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.