Pasta with Walnut-Basil Pesto
If you like, coarsely chop and toast 1 tablespoon of the walnuts. Sprinkle over the top for a little extra crunch.
- 1 1/4 cups packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
- 8 oz multigrain angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, place the basil, walnuts, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper flakes. Process, stopping the machine once or twice to scrape down the sides, until finely pureed. Scrape into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Stir 2 or 3 tablespoons of the pasta water into the pesto to warm it and make it creamier. Add the pasta and toss, adding more pasta water if dry. Sprinkle with the tomato, if using, and the cheese.
Copyright © 2005 by Rodale Inc.
Calories from Fat 94 (30%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 45g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.