Pan-Asian Chicken Escabeche
Chinese five-spice powder marinade is the secret to this flavorful and aromatic dish.
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 Tbs Chinese five spice powder
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 2 cans water chestnuts (5 ounces each)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 English cucumber, skin on and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 radishes, halved
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbs parsley, chopped
- In large plastic zipper bag, combine Chinese five spice powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken thighs to bag, seal well and turn to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for one hour, or up to overnight.
- While chicken is marinating, place red pepper pieces, yellow pepper pieces, jalapeño pepper pieces, water chestnuts, carrot, cucumber, radishes and red onion in bowl of food processor. Rough chop by pulsing the blade. If food processor is not available, vegetables may be julienned by hand.
- Place chopped vegetables in large bowl. Add garlic, lime juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place bowl in refrigerator and allow to sit for one hour or up to overnight.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill. Place chicken on grill and cook, turning, until done throughout, about 6 minutes per side. Cool and shred meat coarsely.
- Add chicken to vegetable salad mixture. Add cilantro and parsley; stir well to combine.
Calories from Fat 189 (54%)
(33%)Total Fat 21g
(17%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.