Olive Oil Poached Salmon with Pomegranate Spiced Cider Jus
Poaching salmon in olive oil enhances its subtly decadent flavor—perfectly complimented by a creamy sunchoke puree and savory Brussels sprouts.
- Pomegranate Spiced Cider Jus1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 quart apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 20 black peppercorns
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Sunchoke Puree1/2 lb fresh sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes), peeled
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbs crème fraiche
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brussels Sprouts1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed, blanched, and quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil Poached Salmon6 7 oz boneless salmon fillets, skinned
- 6 cups olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (garnish)
- Fleur de sel to taste (or high quality sea salt)
- Pomegranate Spiced Cider JusCombine the pomegranate juice, apple cider, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, and orange zest in a pot and reduce over medium-low heat to 1/2 cup.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, discard the spices and zest, and return the reduced cider to the pot.
- Add the butter and heavy cream, whisking to combine. Add salt to taste. Using a hand-held immersion blender, blend until light and foamy. Cover to keep warm; set aside.
- Sunchoke PureePre-heat oven to 220°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the sunchokes and cook until fork tender. Drain the sunchokes and transfer them to a baking sheet. Place in the warm oven and allow to dry.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring butter and heavy cream to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Transfer the dried sunchokes and crème fraîche to the bowl of a food processor.
- With the machine running, add the hot butter and cream mixture. Continue mixing until the puree is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brussels SproutsOver medium heat, cook butter until it begins to brown. Add Brussels sprouts and almonds.
- Cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Olive Oil Poached SalmonUsing a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, add olive oil and heat to 160° F. Add the rosemary, thyme, and kosher salt.
- Carefully place the fillets into the hot oil. Make sure the oil completely covers the fillets, adding more oil if needed. Slowly poach until the center of each fillet reaches 115° F (about 12 to 15 minutes).
- Gently remove the fillets and season each portion with fleur de sel or another high quality sea salt.
- Place a portion of the sunchoke puree in the center of each plate, making a well with the back of a spoon. Spoon the Brussels sprouts mixture into the well and place a salmon fillet on top.
- Re-froth the pomegranate spiced cider jus and skim the foam from the top. Spoon the foam around the plate. Garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds.
Calories from Fat 1118 (86%)
(195%)Total Fat 126g
(114%)Saturated Fat 23g
Polyunsaturated Fat 14g
Monounsaturated Fat 86g
Total Carbohydrate 22g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.