Olive and Leek Prassopitta
Traditional prassopitta is given additional flavor with dill, nutmeg, and olives.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 quarts chopped leeks (white and tender green part only)
- 1 (6 oz.) can olives, drained and halved
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 sheets (8 oz.) phyllo pastry (14-inch by 18-inch)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium sized saucepan. Stir in leeks, cover and cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add olives, feta, egg, parsley, dill and lemon juice to cooked leeks.
- Season mixture with salt, nutmeg and pepper and set aside. Cut phyllo pastry in half lengthwise to make 20 (14-inch by 9-inch) rectangular sheets. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9-inch by 11-inch baking pan with olive oil. Place a sheet of phyllo pastry on top.
- Brush with olive oil and repeat until ten layers are assembled. Spoon leek mixture over pastry crust. Place remaining phyllo sheets on top, brushing oil between each sheet. Trim excess phyllo around edges of baking dish and score top with approximately six evenly spaced incisions to vent while baking. Bake in a 375oF oven for 35-40 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool, then cut into serving portions. Serve warm or cool.
Calories from Fat 173 (50%)
(30%)Total Fat 19g
(26%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.