Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
The chickpeas provide fiber and protein, and the tomatoes and spinach give you a healthy dose of veggies, fiber, and antioxidants—and it's tasty too!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish (Ok people, you totally do NOT need this much oil. I used 1 heaping Tbsp and it was more than enough!)
- 1 large onion, diced (can use red onion)
- 6-8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 5-ounce package of prewashed baby spinach or 10-ounce bag of frozen spinach
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur.
- Add spices and sauté a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar. Season with a couple pinches of salt and ten grinds fresh pepper. Stir well. Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid (add a little water if the level is shy).
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot. (I used a hand blender to make the soup a nice chunky consistency). Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
- Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls. The Secret Part: Add 1 Tbsp of Masala Lentil Dip to the bowl and stir into soup until combined through. The dip gives the soup an amazing flavor and really adds a kick to it! It totally amped up the flavor of what was otherwise a pretty average tasting soup. You can add a drizzle of EVOO on top if desired. I also served the soup with toasted pita chips which tasted great. You can also serve it with Greek Yogurt or a creamy cheese, I think both would taste good. Enjoy!
Calories from Fat 76 (26%)
(13%)Total Fat 9g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 46g
(34%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.