Montreal bagels are more dense and sweet than a typical bagel. They’re boiled in honey and traditionally cooked in a wood-burning oven.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 5 Tbs granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs sunflower oil
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 Tbs egg, beaten
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 4 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 4 quarts water
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl combine warm water, sugar, oil, yeast, egg, and maple syrup. Stir until the yeast dissolves.
- Add salt and one cup of flour. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix until fully incorporated.
- In batches of ¼ cup, add flour and mix until each addition is fully combined. The dough will become quite firm and smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a smooth, flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. If the dough is sticky add more flour, one tablespoon at a time.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half. Divide each half again. Continue until you have 12 equal-sized portions of dough.
- Roll each ball of dough into 10-inch-long strips. Wrap the strand of dough around your hand and press down on one end with your thumb. Brush a small amount of water into the indentation and press the other end of the strip into it to create a bagel shape.
- Roll the dough between your palms to smooth the seam.
- Fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water and add the honey. Bring to a boil.
- While you wait for the water to boil, prepare your work station. Lay a clean dishtowel down next to your pot. Place the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl and keep nearby. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- When the water begins to boil, drop 3 bagels into the pot for 90 seconds, turning halfway through. When the cooking is complete, the bagels will float to the top. Using a slotted spoon transfer to the clean dishtowel to cool. Once the bagels are cool enough to handle place them into the bowl of sesame seeds and lightly press down. Turn and repeat to cover the other side. Place on the prepared cookie sheet. Continue this process until all the bagels are boiled and coated with seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn all the bagels. Bake for an additional 10 minutes until they are evenly browned.
- Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
Calories from Fat 48 (17%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 51g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.