Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Keep these ingredients on hand to create a super-easy, healthy, dinner recipe.
- 3 bell peppers (I had one yellow, one orange and one red but any colors will do)
- 1 15 oz can refried black beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 Tbs Mexican cheese blend
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Salsa (optional)
- Roast the peppers under a broiler (350°F for 5 minutes (or until the top of the peppers begins to blacken). At the same time, cook the brown rice (I used minute brown rice and just followed the directions on the package for 1 cup!)
- Cut off the tops of the peppers, take out the seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the corn in a microwave safe bowl (or on the stovetop). I used about ¾ cups of corn. Once warmed, stir in ~½ tsp cumin, ~½ tsp chili powder, and ~¼ tsp salt. Set aside
- Heat the refried black beans on the stove, add taco seasoning to taste (I used about 1/3 of the packet).
- Spread the black beans at the bottom and along the sides of each pepper. Top with corn mixture, then with brown rice, then with corn again. Spoon 1 Tbsp Mexican cheese blend on top of each pepper. Broil at 350°F on low for 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with salsa and/or guacamole. Enjoy!!
Calories from Fat 38 (9%)
(7%)Total Fat 4g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 89g
(57%)Dietary Fiber 14g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.