Layered beautifully with fruit and sweet custard, this torte is sure to impress your guests.
- Meringue Discs:8 egg whites (allow to stand 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- Custard Filling:4 egg yolks
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- Fruit Topping:2 cups fresh sliced or whole fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches)
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Trace 2 8-inch circles on parchment paper (on baking sheets). In a large mixing bowl; Beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form.
- In a separate small bowl, Combine sugar, cornstarch and cream of tartar. One tablespoon at a time, add the sugar mixture to beaten egg whites, continuing to beat until sugar is fully dissolved and soft peaks form (rub a bit of meringue between thumb and finger to feel if the sugar has dissolved).
- Gently, fold in the almonds. Divide the mixture evenly among the 4 circles. Spread evenly to the edges of the circles. Bake the meringue layers in a preheated 250°F oven for 1 ˝ hours. Turn oven off. Leave pan sit in oven for another 30 minutes to an hour. Cool slightly; gently peel the paper from the bottom of the meringue layers, being careful not to crack or break them.
- In a large mixing bowl with a wire whisk, lightly Beat egg yolks. Add sugar and cornstarch; continue Whisking until mixed. Gradually, Beat in milk until combined. Cover; cook custard in microwave on high for 2 minutes; stir, cover, cook 2 more minutes; stire, cover, cook 1 more minute. Remove from microwave, stir and chill.
- To assemble torte, place one meringue layer on a serving plate. Gently spread a thin layer of cooled custard filling on top of meringue layer to within 1/2 -inch of edge. Top with ˝ cup fresh fruit. Repeat with remaining layers. Cut and serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 44 (18%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.