Leg of Lamb Wrapped in Leeks
The leeks wrapped around the lamb in this recipe infuse it with a flavor reminiscent of mild garlic and onions.
- 1 6-8 lb. bone in leg of lamb
- 10-15 leeks, chop off tops
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup of roasted garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarse pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- Pre-heat over to 250 degrees.
- Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and olive oil and make into a paste using a mortar & pestle. Rub the whole leg of lamb with the paste.
- Blanch the leeks in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Wrap the leg of lamb in the leek tops, using olive oil to help the leeks adhere to the meat.
- Set the lamb on a baking dish. Add the red wine to the pan and put lamb into oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the meat is 135-140 degrees for medium rare - approximately two and half hours.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will rise another 5-10 degrees. Shave the lamb and serve.
Calories from Fat 1183 (38%)
(203%)Total Fat 132g
(205%)Saturated Fat 41g
Polyunsaturated Fat 13g
Monounsaturated Fat 62g
Total Carbohydrate 26g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.