Lamb Stew with Mashed Potato Crust
Any stresses in your life will scurry away after consuming this ultimate comfort food.
- 3 lamb shanks
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup chile powder
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 Tbs black pepper, cracked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Mashed Potatoes4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, pureed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together flour, chile powder, salt, and pepper. Roll lamb shanks in this flour mixture.
- In a large roasting pan, heat oil and sear shanks.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; continue to sear.
- Add wine, broth, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes, turning shanks occasionally, until meat is very tender. Pull meat from the bone; continue to simmer over low heat until stew thickens slightly.
- Strain the sauce from the bottom of the pan and reduce by half. Add back; cool.
- Put lamb stew in oven safe bowl; top with warm mashed potatoes (recipe below).
- Bake at 375°F for approximately 15 minutes, until stew bubbles over the side and potatoes are golden brown.
- Mashed PotatoesIn a small pot, boil potatoes until fork slides out of potatoes easily. While potatoes are boiling, in a separate pan, heat cream and butter until hot. Do not boil.
- Drain water from potatoes; place potatoes in mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add 1 cup cream mixture; mix until blended. Slowly add garlic cloves and remaining cream while mixer is on medium speed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Calories from Fat 236 (58%)
(41%)Total Fat 27g
(68%)Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.