Lamb Souvlaki with Yogurt-Garlic Sauce
Bring the bustling street life of Greece to your table with this popular market food—a tasty lamb and vegetable kabob.
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 lb lamb leg, cut into 12 cubes
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 8 12-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Yogurt-Garlic Sauce2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- Lamb SouvlakiIn small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, and salt; set aside. Thread lamb, bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes onto wooden skewers and brush all sides with marinade. Place in a large, shallow pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, rotating skewers once.
- Grill over medium-hot coals for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until desired degree of doneness. Rotate to cook evenly. To broil, cook four inches from heat source for 6 minutes, rotating until evenly browned.
- Grill or toast pitas. Serve skewers and pitas with Yogurt-Garlic Sauce.
- Yogurt-Garlic SaucePut two chopped cucumbers and a pinch of salt in a food processor; puree.
- Place in a fine-screen colander, and squeeze out juice into a bowl. Reserve juice and discard pulp.
- In a bowl, whisk cucumber juice with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt or sour cream.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Calories from Fat 87 (39%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.