Lamb Posole Stew
Posole originated from the middle of Mexico's Pacific Coast region. This version brings savory lamb to the table.
- 2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder meat, fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) salsa
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) hominy, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- In plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add lamb cubes in batches and shake to coat.
- In 6-quart pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add lamb in batches and brown. Add more oil as needed. Place browned lamb in bowl. Return lamb to pan and add broth and salsa. Simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in hominy. Cover and simmer for 15 additional minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Serve with warm tortillas or cornbread.
Calories from Fat 43 (49%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.