Key Lime Angel Pie
Garnish with whipped cream, lime slices and fresh mint.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly grated Key lime peel
- Baked Meringue Pie Shell3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Meringue Pie ShellHeat oven to 225°F. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. (rub a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth.) Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks. Beat in vanilla.
- Spread meringue on bottom and sides of greased 9-inch pie plate with back of spoon, building up edge to form a rim.
- Bake in 225°F oven until firm and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven. Let dry in oven, with door closed, until cool and crisp, at least 1 hour. Store, in pie plate, in tightly sealed container at room temperature. Fill just before serving.
- Key Lime FillingBeat egg yolks, milk, lime juice and lime peel in a heavy saucepan until blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly but gently, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and temperature reaches 160°F, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly. Set pan in larger pan of ice water; stir occasionally and gently for a few minutes to hasten cooling. Press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of custard to prevent a "skin" from forming. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Spread lime custard evenly in meringue pie shell before serving.
Calories from Fat 19 (16%)
(3%)Total Fat 2g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.