Jeanette’s Bean and Knoephla Soup
This soup features knoephla, German-style dumplings, cooked in a savory ham and vegetable broth.
- 1 lb pinto or great Northern dry beans
- 10 cups cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- Leftover ham broth and pieces of ham (or two ham hocks and a slice of ham, diced)
- 10 cups cold water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/8 tsp dill weed
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 14 or 16 oz can tomatoes
- Knoephla1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- In a 4-quart kettle, add salt to 10 cups cold water and heat to boiling.
- Sort dry beans into a strainer and rinse with cold water. Add beans to water and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 4 to 16 hours.
- Drain and rinse both beans and pan, discard soak water. Cover beans with 10 cups fresh, cold water. Add ham and broth or hocks.
- Add chopped vegetables to beans and ham. Add dill and pepper; stir. Cover and simmer one hour, until beans are tender.
- If hocks or bones were used, remove from soup. Remove meat, cut up and return to soup. Discard bones, skin, and fat. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Make knoephla (recipe below) and add to simmering soup. Stir soup while adding knoephla to prevent them from sticking together. Knoephla will float at first, then sink down into the soup as they cook. Cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- KnoephlaMix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Mix egg and water in a measuring cup.
- Pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix with spoon. Spread 1/4 cup flour on the counter and knead dough until smooth.
- Break dough into six or eight pieces. Roll between hands into long, thin pieces (smaller than your little finger).
- Use small amount of flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands and counter. Cut with a scissor into small (approximately ˝ inch) pieces.
Calories from Fat 24 (8%)
(4%)Total Fat 3g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 54g
(43%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.