Hearty, Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna
A much healthier version with whole wheat noodles, fat-free ricotta, and low-fat mozzarella that still taste great and satisfies too.
- 1 8 oz package whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 zucchini (fresh)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 5 oz bag of baby spinach
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (with Italian spices, such as basil, oregano, etc. if you can find that)
- 1 25.5 oz jar ready-made spaghetti sauce (I like the tomato basil marinara) or homemade sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil and cooking spray
- 1.5 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or four-cheese mixtures that also contains Asiagio, Mozzarella, and Fontina)
- NoodlesCook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions (leave them al dente). Salt the water, if you like.
- Once they’re done, lay them flat on foil and set aside.
- VegetablesQuarter all four zucchini and slice thinly.
- Thinly slice one of the red bell peppers. (I cut the slices in half so they’re not so long.)
- Mince three cloves of garlic.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic, zucchini, and red pepper together.
- Add the whole bag of baby spinach at the end (when the zucchini and red peppers are almost done cooking).
- Sprinkle oregano and dried basil to taste, stir, and let it cook a couple more minutes.
- When the spinach is cooked, turn the heat down to low.
- SauceMince 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
- Dice half a red onion (If it’s a small onion, dice the whole thing).
- Dice the other red bell pepper.
- Heat 2 to 3 tsp olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the red onion, garlic, and red pepper for a few minutes (until the onion starts turning a little translucent).
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Add dried oregano.
- Once the sauce is heated through, turn the heat down on low.
- CheeseCombine 1.5 cups of the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1 cup of the Parmesan (or four-cheese mixture) in a bowl.
- AssemblyI assembled the lasagna in a casserole dish and sprayed the bottom of the dish with cooking spray.
- Put a layer of sauce at the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of the lasagna noodles.
- Add another layer of the sauce.
- Add a layer of the veggies.
- Put little crumbles of the cheese mixture all over the veggie layer (don’t try to spread it out, the little crumbles seemed to work well).
Calories from Fat 42 (18%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
(25%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.