Grilled Steak Tacos with Poblano-Mango Salsa
The mild heat of poblano and the subtle sweetness of mango create an unforgettable pairing in this Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1 lb top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 medium mango, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 small corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)
- fresh cilantro sprigs, lime wedges (optional)
- Place peppers and onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals (over medium heat on preheated gas grill). Grill, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until onion is tender and pepper skins are blackened, turning occasionally. Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set peppers and onion aside.
- Meanwhile combine garlic and cumin; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 13 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm.
- Remove and discard skins, stems and seeds from peppers when cool enough to handle. Chop peppers and onion. Combine chopped vegetables, mango, chopped cilantro, lime juice and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place tortillas on grid. Grill, uncovered, 30 seconds on each side or until heated through and lightly browned.
- Carve steaks into slices. Season with additional salt, as desired. Top tortillas with equal amounts of beef and mango salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.
Substitution Tip: One pound beef shoulder center (ranch) steaks, cut 3/4- inch thick, may be substituted for top sirloin steak.
Calories from Fat 112 (34%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 4g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.