Grilled Chicken, Plantain, and Pineapple Skewers
As these skewers cook, the smell of grilled plantains and pineapples will waft over your senses like a warm tropical breeze.
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 1 oz bacon strips, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbs oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 10-inch wooden or metal skewers
- Pineapple Dipping sauce2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 10 oz jar, pineapple fruit spread
- Thread chicken, bacon, pineapple, and plantains on skewers, alternating the ingredients. Set skewers in a glass baking dish.
- In small bowl stir together pineapple juice, lime juice, oregano, and garlic cloves.
- Pour pineapple juice mixture over skewers, turning to coat all sides thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours, turning skewers occasionally.
- Before cooking chicken, prepare pineapple dipping sauce (recipe below).
- Prepare grill. When coals are hot, lift skewers out of marinade and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Grill over medium-hot coals for about 20 minutes, turning often. Stir remaining marinade into the pineapple dipping sauce. Boil pineapple dipping sauce over hot stove, stirring often, for 4 minutes.
- Serve skewers hot.
- Pineapple Dipping SauceIn medium bowl, stir together vegetable oil, minced onion, pineapple fruit spread, and remaining marinade. Boil as instructed before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 219 (58%)
(37%)Total Fat 24g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrate 23g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.