Fruited Couscous Salad with Chicken
The colorful salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds. The perfect dish to feed a crowd or take to a potluck.
- Salad:2 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbs chicken bouillon granules
- 1 3/4 cups couscous, uncooked
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (one pepper)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley sprigs, finely minced
- Dressing:1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- In a jar or small bowl, blend together lemon juice, oil, garlic, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, Tabasco, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil, stir in chicken bouillon and add couscous. Mix couscous with a fork; cover and remove from heat. Let stand until broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Place bowl in refrigerator for about 5 minutes to cool.
- When couscous has cooled, mix in cooked chicken, red pepper, carrots, dried cranberries, apple, green onions and parsley. Add lemon dressing and toss well.
- Chill at least one hour before serving.
Calories from Fat 82 (21%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(7%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 56g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.